Old January 27th 06, 02:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Poll: Ignition Harness Replacement

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 02:36:32 GMT, Orval Fairbairn
wrote:

This is a good reason to use blowproof exhaust gaskets -- I have never
seen one blow. I would never use the copper/asbestos type again!

We yanked the exhaust every 100 hours (2-4 months) to free up the
ball- and slip-joints, inspect for cracks, and r/r the exhaust
gaskets. Used either the crappy c/a's or 2 stacked "all coppers". The
exhaust studs weren't long enuff to accommodate the heavy metal
blo-prufs, the flange, a washer and a nut. Am thinking toward the end
we were using low height stainless lock-nuts on 'em (from another OEM
exhaust install) and some would still would shake loose in 100 hrs.
When we switched to stacks with thicker flanges, the stacks lasted
longer, but it made the "thickness" problem worse.

At least we didn't have to worry about seized nuts...

TC