Old June 1st 06, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Starduster Too, first flight, busted prop

Al wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
nk.net...

Al wrote:

Pavement, KRBG, and about 10" I think.

Al

Ok, another WAG?

Stardusters sometimes have rather long looking noses.

If that was 10" in level attitude - obviously not a prob.
If that's 10" clearance in 3 point? Maybe?

It was a good 10" in a level attitude. Far enough to strike the prop would
be scary indeed.

LAST WAG?

You found an old prop on the resturant wall?

He, He, It WILL end up on a wall somewhere. Perhaps with a clock. The
strange part to me is that he didn't notice a thing until shutdown.

I finally got some pictures up, (alt.binaries.pictures.aviation). I tried
earlier, but hit some kind of size limitation.

Al

Will go take a (morbidly curious) look.

Most likely scenerio is that this prop is (well, WAS) too long for this engine.
At operating speeds, the tip sheething let go (oh, say at about 4000 to 5000
G's?), and the prop "re-balanced" itself (rather quickly) sheding the dammaged wood.

Those OLD props (say from an OX-5?) turned something like 1200 to 1500 RPM max.

What do you think, Al?

RIchard