Old December 6th 07, 11:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Isaksen

Default Tax bill of $26,000 for flying into US state of Maine?

"Tri-Pacer" ...
Anyone else read the latest story in today's AvWebFlash's email
newsletter
about the Massachusetts based pilot who flew his Cirrus several times
into
Maine and unexpectedly received a Maine "use tax" bill of over $26,000?

The article mentioned that the chap had a Summer home in Maine. Perhaps
they consider him a resident since he owns property and spends time there.

Bummer no matter what the reason.

I own vacation property in two other states, but they won't let me vote
(state, local or school tax). I wonder if Maine lets him vote. Also, the 20
day number sounds very short. Anyone know the typical time period for other
States?

The Use Tax issue is very common in any state that has high Sales Taxes, and
the state governments can get pretty aggressive (NY being one). NY does
periodic walkdowns at most airports and reviews tenant & transient records.
The only upside is NY fully credits sales/use tax paid in other states on
the item in question. Someone mentioned there is also a "used and useful"
provision that won't let the Tax apply to used items brought into the
State?!?