Old December 6th 07, 11:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Clark

Default Tax bill of $26,000 for flying into US state of Maine?

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 10:22:29 -0600, "Gig 601XL Builder"
wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote:

Peter R. wrote:
Anyone else read the latest story in today's AvWebFlash's email
newsletter about the Massachusetts based pilot who flew his Cirrus
several times into Maine and unexpectedly received a Maine "use tax"
bill of over $26,000?

Must GA Pilots Stay Out Of Maine? (story about half-way down):
http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archive...ll.html#196716

That's just insane. I am an Angel Flight pilot for Angel Flight
Northeast and this story makes me think twice about accepting any
missions into or out of the state of Maine.

I read the story and it doesn't give a lot of information on what basis the
state is trying to charge the tax. A Use Tax in it's normal use is one that
is for items bought by a citizen of the state out of the state and brought
into the state. This sounds like they are trying to charge someone just
"passing through" or visiting. If that's the case it is insane. The same tax
could be charged to drivers who drive their car into the state.

I have a feeling that this guy parked his plane somewhere that just happened
to get checked that day for residents that hadn't paid taxes and his N# got
written down and a bill was sent automatically. I don't even think a tax for
flying into a state from another state would be consititutional under the
interstate commerce clause of the US Constitution.

My bet is AOPA will have this cleared up before the week is out.

This story has been going on for a while, somewhere I read that they
had someone sending out bills based on IFR flight plans they pulled
from a tracking service.