Old August 17th 18, 08:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Again!

On Friday, August 17, 2018 at 2:20:45 PM UTC-4, Whiskey Charlie wrote:
Hey at least you now know one weekend that won't be TFR'ed...

Trump just tweeted he will spend Veteran's Day in France!

Last year Trump's Mar-a-Lago golf resort in Florida reopened
on Halloween. After that, he shuns New Jersey and vacations
in Florida. So we have potentially two more months of weekend
groundings this year. So much winning!

I just checked in with the two glider clubs at VanSant Airport
in eastern PA. Nothing much happening there, certainly not on
the weekends. I suspect that the viable options are to either
move to a field farther west, or just sell the gliders and throw
in the towel. I remember (back in the day) when VanSant was a
very active glider port, with two tow planes running steadily
on nice weekends, and occasionally bringing out a third tug.
Part of the problem there came from neighbors objecting to the
noise, even though the field had been there just about forever.
At one point it was going to be sold and split up into big lots
for McMansions, but the county (I think) wised up and preserved
the land as an airport. It's still a lovely all-grass country
airport with biplanes, homebuilts, and gliders. Nothing lasts,
I suppose. Now the FBO there is really struggling to keep their
heads above water. Doesn't really look good.

Jim Beckman