Old September 6th 18, 03:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

Default Too many accidents

On Thursday, September 6, 2018 at 10:11:09 AM UTC-4, wrote:
This is a recurring topic since the beginning of aviation. The irony is there is a well known and recognized, fundamental reason for glider (all aviation) accidents.

And that is, a demonstrable lack of knowledge.

It is easy to confirm. Present a group of pilots with a written test of basic, essential knowledge needed to fly safely.

I would include my favorite question:

Why does an aircraft have a rudder?

Some years ago, when I conducted glider CFI revalidation clinics, I presented this question to a group of about 40 glider CFIs. Not a single person got this question correct, and I would bet it is no different today.

It is common for people to avoid obtaining the fundamental knowledge necessary for safe flight.

Tom Knauff

An aircraft has a rudder for positive control about the yaw axis, of course. The primary reason we need such control is adverse yaw. Next?

So Tom... are you still claiming that a glider cannot be stalled without first bringing the nose above the horizon?

Just curious.

Evan Ludeman (student pilot since 1986, instructor since 2015)