Old February 15th 19, 06:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Sun Ship Game on Youtube - Complete

On Friday, September 11, 2009 at 9:41:49 PM UTC-4, Paul Remde wrote:
Hi,

I have a link on my Soaring Links page "Theory, Equations & Spreadsheets" to
a site in Melbourne (link below) which includes a program to calculate and
plot a Stocker final glide calculator as described in Helmut Reichmann's
book Cross Country Soaring.
http://www.gliding-in-melbourne.org/resource.htm

More interesting links are he
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/soaring_links/theory.htm

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde

"Bob Gibbons" wrote in message
On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 14:30:34 -0700 (PDT), Mike Bamberg
wrote:

... text deleted...
Actually no, it's not an e-6b. I have one of the circular glide
computers from that era, set up for a 301 Libelle. There are several
versions but the one I have has a side to place a sectional chart (or
portion of one) and a spiral set of lines to show glide distance into
a headwind. You twist the correct line over your current location and
I think it indicates the correct altitude for final glide, or some
combination thereof.

If someone is really interested I can post pictures on my website. m
l b ( at ) m i k e b a m b e r g . c o m (remove the spaces, replace
the at) drop me a line and I'll go through the effort.

Mike

I presented a paper at the 1991 OSTIV meeting detailing a software
program, written in HP BASIC, to compute the required parameters and
plot the graphic overlay for this type of final glide computer, which
Helmut Reichmann called a "Stocker" calculator. On my copy of
Reichmann's "Cross Country Soaring", the descirption of the computer
is on page 120.

The program I wrote was designed to drive an HP plotter which
generated an overlay what would be printed on a transparency and
overlaid on top of a sectional map.

If anyone is interested in ancient historical artifacts, send me an
email and I'll forward a copy of the paper.

Bob

At the time of the Marfa contest I was a young Glider pilot/tow pilot/dingy sailor I had a share in a KA-8. Gliding was like having fallen head over heels - in-love, like all stories worth their salt - there was a girl - yes she was as sweet as the summer breeze and bent just as sweetly. Gliding was/is - a mental sport, like being in love with a young woman. Mr Moffat made me think- Gliding is mental and intellectual, Thinking about what the heck is the weather doing now !! the high cirrus is moving in and cutting the heating on the ground - if i dont think quickly in a couple of minutes I will have to find a patch to land this thing... Ups I fell out of the core - my god I can smell the engine of the farmer thrashing the field below - what is my McCready ring setting for this head wind every minute or two - think - what next - and after that? this was George's expressed glider flying tactics... I learned to practice in my Ka-8 - and that girl ? she let me fly her fathers Libelle - she was graceful, when we danced - she moved with a inimitable grace - her waist curve was a sweet line that held you in a trance oh, what magnificent moment to be with you !! Ka8 dont be jealous.