Old November 2nd 06, 06:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
pgbnh

Default Flags of Our Fathers

Have not yet seen the movie, but do yourself a favor and read the book also
(just finished it). I am most curious to see if the movie paints the event
itself (flag raising), the lives of the flag raisers (before and after), and
the battle in the same say as the book. Frankly, the picture that I used to
have of the flag raising (and the individuals raising it) is now markedly
different than before I read the book.

Anybody done both - movie and book?
"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
Saw the new Clint Eastwood-directed take on the famous flag-raising at
Iwo Jima with friends this evening, and enjoyed it immensely. The
battle scenes are pretty intense, and it's not the kind of movie you
see if you want a feel-good experience -- but it certainly made me
(once again) appreciate the sacrifices my father's generation made.

Necessary aviation content: There are some GREAT battle scenes with
Chance-Vought (or, I suppose, Goodyear) F4U Corsairs.

It's the only movie I've been to where the ENTIRE theater stayed to
watch the credits, all the way to the end, without a sound. It's
worth seeing.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA