Old April 13th 08, 12:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
[email protected][_1_]

Default Backup attitude indicator on older Cirrus

Mike,

Thanks for the response, I am focusing on the pre-PFD aircraft and I
still have yet to find an example with a backup AI. All of the pre-PFD
Cirrus aircraft I have seen have a full panel with no extra space
whether or not they have either HSI option installed (some have only a
DG and no HSI, some have a conventional HSI and some have the
Sandel).

A few examples of pre-PFD SR-20s:

http://www.controller.com/listings/a...137685CD66D817
http://www.controller.com/listings/a...137685CD66D817
http://www.controller.com/listings/a...137685CD66D817
http://www.controller.com/listings/a...137685CD66D817
http://www.controller.com/listings/a...137685CD66D817
http://www.controller.com/listings/a...137685CD66D817

I find it odd that I haven't been able to find a pre-PFD Cirrus with a
backup attitude indicator anywhere, given the popularity of installing
electric backup AIs for redundancy in IFR. I've looked at 25+ aircraft
on the internet and haven't found a single example of a backup AI. Of
course Cirrus fixed this with the PFD versions that have backup
instruments below the PFD, since they were required to have a backup.

Does anyone know if there is a reason why backup AIs aren't found as a
retrofit on older Cirrus? They have really restricted flexibility with
the limited panel space available, but I would have thought somebody
would have gotten creative and found a solution.

Thanks,
Eric Bartsch
1959 Pilatus P-3 A-848

On Apr 12, 6:40*pm, "Mike Murdock" wrote:
Eric,

If you look at the Cirrus web site (http://www.cirrusdesign.com), you can
find pictures of Cirrus panels with PFDs.

On those panels, they mount a full size backup attitude indicator in the
padded bolster below the instrument panel.

Also, as far as I know, every pre-PFD Cirrus was delivered with an HSI, not
a DG. *Some had a Century HSI, others had a Sandel 3308 EHSI.

Regards,

-Mike