Old March 5th 07, 08:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gene Seibel

Default "Full length"

On Mar 5, 2:17 pm, "buttman" wrote:
What does it mean when a controller says "Cleared for landing full
length", or "cleared for takeoff full length"?

I've never heard this said until I started flying out of this airport
I'm based at now which has a 11,800 ft. runway. Does it mean he wants
me to land further down towards the middle of the runway?

In the past, I've always disregarded the phrase "full length" as quasi-
meaningless "supplemental" information (such as "#2 for landing").
I've made about 20 landings so far here, and 3 of them resulted in a
plane behind me having to do a go-around, so maybe there is something
more to it.

But then again, why would it even matter. I'm I'm still on the runway,
the controller can't clear anyone else for takeoff anyways until I
turn off the taxiway... Can someone shed some light on this?

On landing I would take it to mean I didn't need to hold short of
crossing runways, for one thing.
--
Gene Seibel
Gene & Sue's Aeroplanes - http://pad39a.com/gene/planes.html