Old September 14th 09, 07:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jb92563

Default COMPARE THIS ULTIMATE PANEL

How can you see ANY of those instruments when you are unfolding a Map
in the cockpit of a glider like that?

I just turn my "Devices" on at the beginning of the flight and off
when I land.

They provide information as I fly, moving map, Airspace, landable
points within glide range, at a glance, but require no interaction.

If you have systems that need interaction then I agree, you are
spoiling your flying by having to mess with gadgets and focus inside
the cockpit.

I still have paper maps as a backup, but those need fussing with as
well when unfolding/folding and trying to find things.

My particular setup is interaction free, leaving me free to focus on
the visual and seat of the pants aspects of flying.

If I'm not paying attention to something important the gizmo beeps to
let me know I need to take a quick glance at it.

Setups are completed entirely at home in the livingroom, with a
computer degree of course ;-)

Ray

iPAQ 310 & XCSoar

On Sep 12, 9:32*pm, Guy Byars wrote:
The panel in my glider is the ultimate in sunlight readability, low
power consumption, ease of use, low maintenance, low clutter and low
cost.

http://www.gfbyars.com/SGU1-20/final/P1010425.JPG

If you want to see terrain features, look out the window. *If you want
to know where you are, look at your map. *If you want to know how far
you are from the turnpoint, put your ruler on the map and measure.

If you want to mess with computers, USB input devices and VGA
displays, why not just stay at the office.

Guy Byars