Old November 5th 19, 03:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default GLIDING INTERNATIONAL -- RESEARCH

The Rotax 914F2/S1 in my Stemme has never failed to start.Â* That said,
I'm never outside of gliding distance of a paved airport. True, this
limits me some but, should I ever need the engine and it should fail to
start, it'll be a non event.

On 11/4/2019 9:56 PM, ian wrote:
On 11/3/19 10:04 AM, wrote:
We at Gliding International have just completed a three months study
on the accident sitution in regard to our sport.Â* We have examined
(in detail) the 96 reported accidents which show that our problematic
area of soaringÂ* flight relates to the landing phase.

Also in our November issue is a report from Sebastian Kawa who has
personally set out to explain his recent serious accident. ...
Basically the accident emanated from the failure of hisÂ* motor to start.

Could you prepare a detailed study on the reliability of "means of
propulsion" of sailplanes?

What percentage of in flight start attempts are unsuccessful?

Eg: Self launch verses sustainer. Internal combustion verses jet
verses electric. Failure to start verses running out of fuel/energy.
Failure rates of control, deploy and retract systems. Fires and
electrical faults, while flying and on the ground. Recharging and
refueling incidents, etc.

--
Dan, 5J