Old March 8th 05, 05:26 PM
Tim Mara

I've landed gear up......once..(so far ).....with the gear warning blaring
in my ear....I was of course distracted at the time with other complications
at the time.....landing at an airshow, on grooved pavement.in front of
1000's ) (do it with style)......with a Yellow PIK20.....left a nice
bright 2" (graduating to about 10") mark on the runway.....I've also helped
other troubleshoot problems with their gear warning systems that wouldn't
always work...bad switches, bad switch locations, broken wires, dead
batteries.....
The problem though comes from having a system that you become accustomed
to.and when it doesn't work, you more than likely land gear up....
Personally.I much prefer a good mental check-list......mine is still
GUMP'S...worked in twins....works in gliders too...
tim
--
Wings & Wheels
www.wingsandwheels.com

"Lars P. Hansen" wrote in message
. ..
No matter how well you design, place and secure your switches, they may
(will, according to Murphy) fail someday. Flying for hours with the
warning
buzzer on is no fun! (been there, done that, got the t-shirt)
I strongly recommend a switch or fuse/circuit breaker on the panel, so you
can disengage the buzzer inflight.

Happy Soaring,
Lars Peder

Lars P. Hansen
"T o d d P a t t i s t" wrote in message
"scooter" wrote:

I'm going to install gear warning switches in my Mosquito. I'd
appreciate some advice on the location, type and mounting method of the
microswitches.

A common generic glider installation uses two security alarm
switches (the type used for doors and windows) that respond
to a magnet. The two magnets are attached with tie wraps to
control rods for the gear and airbrakes. The switches are
mounted to the side of the fuselage. Alternatively,
mechanically operated microswitches can be used. You can
get them with levers or long wire whiskers that can be bent
to a desired shape.

I prefer the former, since there is no wear, less likelihood
of interfering with the control system and they are easier
to align or adjust (just move the magnet along the control
rod).