Old March 8th 05, 05:55 PM
Eric Greenwell

Tim Mara wrote:

I've landed gear up......once..(so far ).....with the gear warning blaring
in my ear....I was of course distracted at the time with other complications
at the time.....landing at an airshow, on grooved pavement.in front of
1000's ) (do it with style)......with a Yellow PIK20.....left a nice
bright 2" (graduating to about 10") mark on the runway.....I've also helped
other troubleshoot problems with their gear warning systems that wouldn't
always work...bad switches, bad switch locations, broken wires, dead
batteries.....
The problem though comes from having a system that you become accustomed
to.and when it doesn't work, you more than likely land gear up....
Personally.I much prefer a good mental check-list......mine is still
GUMP'S...worked in twins....works in gliders too...
tim

I've been saved from a gear up landing at least 3 times by a warning
system, including one at an airshow! I prefer both (checklist AND
warning system), so there are two layers of protection. If the gear
warning goes off, I know I've violated my checklist procedures, so I
admonish myself severely and promise to do better next time. Yes, I was
using a check list for the three times I almost landed gear up, but the
procedure failed for the usual reasons: low, distracted, other traffic,
request from the tower, etc.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA