Old December 4th 05, 12:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Basic Training Gliders

At 02:48 04 December 2005, Bill Daniels wrote:

'I'd agree with all except the rigidly fixed gear.
Even if not retractable,

I'd want some shock damping - my back hurts from all
the student hard
landings. I'd also want really good visibility from
the instructor seat.

Bill Daniels

I meant fixed gear in the sense of non-retractable,
rather than unsprung, so I totally agree with Bill
on that one. Also on the good visibility from the back
seat, which is another failing of the DG1000. The front
cockpit has a largish headrest that almost completely
blocks the forward view from the rear cockpit. In Europe,
because the DG1000 is certified by EASA, we are not
even allowed to remove it, as it is specified in the
type certificate! While a headrest may be an important
safety item in a car to protect you from whiplash in
a rear end shunt, I am still trying to work out in
what circumstances a glider might get rammed from behind?!!!!!!
Stupid F***ing Bureaucrats!

Can I add to my wish list easy two man rigging and
derigging and self connecting controls? Many current
trainers need about an eight man rigging team, which
is another disincentive to flying the things cross-country.

Derek Copeland