Old April 20th 06, 05:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Painting aluminum glider trailer

John Murphy wrote:
I have a 20+ year old trailer for my G102. Presently, its bare sheet
aluminum. I want to paint it white to reduce the amount of heat
absorbed by the trailer skin. A local autobody shop quoted me $1600.00
to cover with a polyurethene paint over an epoxy primer. This is far
more than I wanted to spend. Any suggestions on durable paints or
products that can be applied by a novice to sheet aluminum. I can rent
an airless sprayer if need be. Thanks.

Most of the commercial cost is in the preparation and finish. If you can get
them to agree to just spray it the price will be substantially less. This
implies you clean and prepare for painting, and they do no flatting and polishing.

As long as the surface is well prepared you can paint it with a roller, and get
reasonable looking results...
--
Bruce Greeff
Std Cirrus #57