Old February 17th 12, 08:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Paynter[_2_]

Default This Just In- Butterfly

On Feb 17, 1:49*pm, Sean Fidler wrote:
Sure Wayne. *I got it.

But just to be thorough we might want to get the ball rolling with these guys too.

http://www.lxnav.com/products/ahrs.html

I would hate to see someone get hammered for this stuff and labeled a bad guy, etc.

There is a big wave of this technology crashing in on the market right now. *If we are going the path of disablement, it is bigger than simply butterfly.

Sean
F2

On the side of divisiveness, I have to agree with Sean. I recently
created a one-axis attitude sensing system for another application,
and found it was pretty trivial to implement using easily available
hobbyist parts and development systems, for about $200. And this of
course doesn't even begin to touch all the smartphone and tablet
products that all incorporate solid-state 3-axis accelerometer, 3-axis
magnetometer chips that make ahrs apps trivial to implement.

Sticking our collective heads into the sand does no one any good - it
is time to realize that the capability *WILL* be in cockpits soon if
they aren't there already, and the success of plugging one particular
hole is like plugging one hole on the titanic - nice publicity, but
ain't gonna help much ;-).

If the SSA and the rules committee wants to get ahead of the game,
they need to provide clear guidance on how to handle suspected
violations. I would venture to speculate that IMC thermalling
techniques may well be detectable through analysis of IGC files for
evidence of violations in a way that reduces the probability of 'false
positive' or 'false negative' results. Even the possibility that an
automated IGC analysis tool could give you a zero for the day (or
maybe even the full death penalty - zero plus a 100pt penalty the next
day) might go a long way toward suppressing cloud-flying temptations.

TA