Old February 25th 16, 07:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Default Which sustainer system would you chose for your sailplane?

FES rings all of my bells, but putting aside factors like wingspan, L/D, Vne, what is the additional cost and benefit of Front_Electric_Self_Launch (FESL) compared to FES?

How much does FESL add to the dollar cost of a similar F_Electric_Sustainer sailplane?

What drawbacks does FESL bring with it? The Mini-LAK has a pilot weight limitation for FESL. It has a tall main gear for prop clearance; how does that affect sight picture and stability for landing and takeoff? The tall gear can absorb a lot of landing shock, but would it be less robust and break?

If a towplane were available, I'd take a tow to 1500+ even if I had FESL, so how often would I ever use FESL? (Half the fun of soaring for me is the people on the ground, so I'm not attracted to launching by myself.) I'd take the tow to conserve battery charge for sustained flight, and I like the climb rate behind a Pawnee on a sinky tree lined short field. I know people with gas self-launchers that take aerotows for similar reasons.

FES is a very clean, simple and big payback feature. FESL not so much. I'm tempted to go with FESL because of extra feature of self launch and minimal cost differential between FES and FESL, but it seems a bit crazy to paying any price for a feature that I don't anticipate using, especially if there are additional non-dollar costs/tradeoffs.