Old June 26th 08, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt[_5_]

Default Historical NOTAMs

Why, you gong to do some retro simming?

No. I was doing some research on the effect of volcanic eruptions on
aviation.

In October of 2005 I was circling around Mt. St. Helens and noticed that
the visitor center was abandoned. On a nice day with steam pluming from
the crater, the visitor center is never empty. Turns out that they had
just issued a TFR within a 10-mile radius of the mountain due to
volcanic activity. Got home to hear that they had evacuated the visitor
center. I wasn't too worried about violating the TFR because I
generally fly a 10-mile radius anyway.

Here's a photo from the flight:
http://www.damnnearwiley.com/AdamsHelensHood72dpi.jpg

(It's actually Hood, St Helens, Jefferson.)

Apparently, the "Temporary Flight Restriction" from Oct. 2005 is still
active: http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_5_9066.html although
they've reduced the radius from 10 to 1.5 miles.

-c