Old March 14th 10, 11:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
VOR-DME[_3_]

Default KJZI (Charleston Executive, S.C.) ILS RWY 9 DME Required

For what it is worth, I am instrument rated, and current, and I am with Sam
on this one. You are indeed expected to know what your ground speed is on
final, within a reasonable margin of error, and the timing table (or your
own time/speed calculation) is the correct way to determine the MAP. There
are plenty of LOC approaches without DME, and not that many that actually
require it. The minimums applied here, along with the penalties for no
local altimeter etc are plenty conservative to make this a safe LOC
approach without DME. It could simply be a charting mistake.

If they really meant for DME to be required it would likely be in the name;
ILS or LOC/DME RWY 9.

In article
,
says...

But of course you do know that the timing table is based on GS. * What
if your GS was 68 knots Sam?

DME is your ONLY source to ensure that you are at MAP along WITH
timing. * If you want to descend below MDA based on time alone AND no
DME, I sure wouldn't want to fly with you.

Of course I do NOT know that. *The timing table is for the LOC MAP. *DA
is your MAP for the ILS.

This newsgroup is so lacking in the fundamentals.

You imply Sam that timing alone is how you determine the MAP. I say
it's not.

DME determines when you can go below MDA which would be at MAP not 3
minutes 12 seconds.

Be my guest on descending below MDA at 3:12 without DME Sam. I won't
be in the plane with you as you come up short or even overshoot the
MAP due to headwinds or tailwind considerations.