Old July 10th 12, 06:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RAS56 RAS56 is offline
Member

Default The "offical" LXNAV V7 thread

Just an FYI for my fellow v7 users regarding updates....when the manual says use the 115k baud rate to do the update, it really means it!

I update my v7 via my Oudie, which I had set at a baud of 19k, along with the Nano I use as a FR. Since they were all talking nice to each other, I figured to not rock the boat and attempted to do the 2.00 update at the lower speed rate figuring it might just take a bit longer. Bad plan on my part....here's what I found out.

The first of the 2 firmware files updated w/o a hitch, but the 2nd update didn't seem to be installing properly. Be advised you are apparently performing two "separate" updates when performing these...the first one is for the v7 and another file upgrades the vario indicator itself. If you look on the v7's "about" page, you'll see two different lines detailing what firmware each of these separate items is running.

After attempting at the low baud rate, I had one line reading "1.96" and another reading "2.00"...when both should have read "2.00".

I finally gave up trying to preserve my settings, did the upgrade at the 115k rate and it went off w/o a hitch...after which I was able to get everything talking to each other again.

As to the up thread discussion on a nav option with the v7, I have mulled over the idea of getting a Colibri II FR in lieu of using my Nano. It has all the FR capabilities of the Nano with the added bonus of being a rudimentary nav system with a display were the primary to croak.

Rob