Old February 29th 04, 08:18 PM
Bob Fry

"Tom Hyslip" writes:

I am considering purchasing a 2 or 4 seater. I can justify the cost of the
plane, by the off set rental fees, but I am not sure how much I need to
budget for other fees, insurance, tie down, gas, parts, maintenance, etc.

I am looking to spend around 25k on the plane, nothing fancy, just something
to build time in. If need be I will spend a little more to get something
that is IFR certified so I can work on my rating.

For $25K I doubt you'll find a usable 4-seater except by really good
luck. But you can find some kind of (minimally) IFR-equipped 2-seater
for that.

As for yearly cost, unless you fly a lot, you may find your total
yearly expenses owning to be greater than renting, not even counting
the initial purchase price. So if you're going into ownership
thinking you're going to save money, that would not be automatic.

I think it's helpful to split the yearly costs into two categories,
"fixed", and "operating". Fixed includes hangar rent, insurance,
annual inspection, and maybe even repairs--anything that doesn't
depend on the engine turning over. Operating costs are gas, oil,
maybe some repairs, and maybe a fund for engine overhaul.

My motive for owning was not to save money. Instead, because my direct
hourly operating cost is now much lower, psychologically I feel free
to fly whenever and how often I want, without worrying about the
dollars per hour of that flying. I now fly a lot more and have a lot
more fun at it.