Old November 30th 07, 08:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bert Willing[_2_]

Default New winch height record

Well, if you have the stick fully back (which I often have, and don't object
to with my students), you
1) are above safety altitude
2) pay attention.

Bert

"Dan G" wrote in message
On Nov 29, 10:24 pm, "Sönke Gutzlaff" wrote:
I've learned that 100km/h is fast enough, our instructors even say 90km/h
ist the perfect speed for the 21 to gain maximun high.
I had lot of cable breaks this year and no problems with the speed. You've
only to react fast enough. And the 21 is a very friendly flying plane
(with
our other planes, especially the ASW19 I prefer higher speeds on winch
launch) and you normaly are not pulling the stick full back before you
reach
the safety high.

What do your instructors say about using back-stick in the K21?

I just did my annual winch-launch checks and mine wouldn't let me use
any back-stick at all. A K21 will still launch perfectly well like
that but I *know* that I'm not getting the best out the launch like
that. On the other hand my instructor did play a neat trick on me - he
distracted me by suddening say "look at that plane!" and pulling the
release at the same time. I *did* hesitate in getting the nose down
and even though it was only a small delay by the time I'd finished the
push-over to the recovery attitude there was only 40 knots on the
clock. Took a fair few seconds to get the speed back up before braking
down to a straight-ahead landing.

That was a bit of an eye-opener, to be honest.

Dan