Old May 19th 08, 04:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
A Lieberman[_2_]

Default Mxsmanic , IFR sensations, and some other stuff

On May 18, 9:55*pm, Mxsmanic wrote:

If you have a backup AI, you should periodically look at it to see if it
agrees with your primary AI. *

I live in the real world. I do not have a back up AI.

You should also correlate instruments to each
other. *If your AI says you're in a 45-degree bank, you should see a change in
heading on the DG,

Did you forget what system failed? What DG????????????

Conversely, if the seat of your pants tells you that you are climbing, but the
altimeter is not changing and the VSI is zeroed, you are not climbing, no
matter what your rear end says. *

AGAIN READ MY POST! My VSI showed 700 fpm

Your instrument scan might tell you that you
are turning instead. *Or your airspeed indicator might tell you that you are
changing speed. *In any case, your instruments are right, and the seat of your
pants is wrong.

READ MY POST. THE ABOVE DOES NOT APPLY.

The instruments? *How many were failing? *How many did you check? *The AI was
failing ... what else was failing? *

Vacuum system failed, you tell me.

No. *In IFR flight, use the instruments only, and ignore what you feel.

Vacuum system failed. I'd be dead if I listened to you and ignored
something I should have felt based on the AI pitched up. My seat of
the pants feeling (or lack of feeling in this case) had me diagnose
the problem in shorter time then me typing this paragraph. And yes,
after figuring out the primary instruments were ghosted up, I went to
my secondary instruments as they confirmed what I felt before entering
IMC..

IN OTHER WORDS NOTHING CHANGED IN ENGINE SOUND, OR FEELING EXCEPT for
the AI showing a abnormally high pitch up. The lack of feeling
becomes VERY IMPORTANT as it was dramatic.

Not sure if you are familiar with Martial arts, but to win a battle,
you use the opponents weakness for your strength, and I apply this to
my IFR flying. *Our weakness is inner ear balance, and I do disregard
any "head feelings" I get, but I do use my rear end to assist me on
what I feel, and SHOULD be feeling based on POWER INPUTS.

That's a mistake.

It apparently wasn't a mistake if I am here to post and share my
experiences. Nor apparently do you know anything about Martial arts.