Old September 27th 07, 03:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Default Mechanical Vario

wrote:
On Sep 26, 10:53 pm, "Bill Daniels" bildan@comcast-dot-net wrote:
In addition to my old reliable B40, I have a newly old B50. As I'm cruising
along the B50's audio will switch to slow yodel and two blue LED's will
light up indicating the need to slow down "a lot". It's usually not clear
to me why I should slow down but I've learned to trust it. After I enter
the zoom I usually feel a kick in the pants as I enter a strong thermal. It
seems to know a thermal is coming well before I do.

Mike, HOW DOES IT DO THAT?

Bill Daniels

dang, I REALLY need to get one of those!

Save your money - you are flying a glider that is already slowed down!
Seriously - Bill might be cruising 40 knots over his thermalling speed,
while you are maybe cruising 10 knots above your thermalling speed. Set
the money aside for another glider, or use it to go to contest or
soaring camp.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA
* "Transponders in Sailplanes"