Old November 15th 11, 10:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

Default Favorite Smartphone Soaring Apps

On Nov 15, 5:15*am, "Larry Goddard" wrote:
"RS" wrote in message

:

On Nov 14, 10:34*pm, David Reitter wrote:
I have an iPhone (and have had previous models) and wholeheartedly
recommend it as a smartphone for convenience and reliability. *That
said, be aware of the total cost of ownership (phone plus expensive
plan for two years, or GSM-only contract-free phone plus cheap plan.)
A number of aviation-related apps are available, many of them very
cheaply. *In-flight use isn't so great - no matter what software (and
XCSoar doesn't run), the battery drain is substantial when GPS is
running and data transfer takes place.

I also picked up a lightly used Dell Streak 5 Android PDA/tablet/phone
for use as glide computer. *It cost me only US$200 and offers the best
screen among the portable, open-platform systems. *It can easily be
powered and installing/updating XCSoar is a snap. *At that price, I
don't see why one needs to compromise functionality. * What Max
Kellermann says in this thread is true. *(The Streak is too big for a
phone unless you carry a (man-)purse.)

Many Android smart phones will make a poor in-flight glide computer
due to their displays alone; do your research before you buy one.

PS.: there's an article in the current Soaring Magazine about PDAs,
but I find it fairly biased.

Speaking of battery drain, it is very true. Regardless of type, iphone
vs android phone or tablet, battery life is greatly reduced with
ongoing GPS use. *On Amazon.com, i searched for solar cell phone
chargers and for less than $30, I got a small solar charger that is
the dimensions as the phone itself. *While not strong enought to power
the device fully if it's battery is fully discharged, it will greatly
extend it's life. *It also has a built in battry that can hold a
charge so it can be plugged in to provide power and recharge the
phone's battery. *Would hate to land out, and find there's not enough
battery left in the phone to make the call for a retrieve.

That's why you should have as a part of your landout kit, a phone car
charger and a small cigarette lighter receptacle with a connector to fit
your sailplane battery. *Then you will have almost unlimited cellphone
battery power available. This has been a part of my kit ever since we
began using cellphones. *Add to that a very lightweight fishnet bag, and
you can carry your "power" and other survival stuff with you if you need
to walk out.

Larry
Zero One- Hide quoted text -

You can buy on Amazon for $5 a small external battery charger which
will double the life of your battery. This, as well as a regular
charger, should be in the landout kit of any pilot who fly XC.

Ramy