Old September 21st 17, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

Default sunlight readable iphone

On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 12:18:27 AM UTC-7, Ian wrote:
On 21/09/2017 07:11, jfitch wrote:

Windows 3.1/CE UI which dates from the last century. iGlide was
designed from the beginning around a modern smartphone interface,
while SYM and XCSoar have tried to adapt grudgingly to it. Winpilot
made the jump more properly, but the iOS version has never really
been finished.

Have you tried TopHat? Basically XCSoar with a rationalised UI. I don't
know if it works on old Windows CE devices but I find it much more
intuitive on my Dell Streak than native XCSoar.

There are also versions patched for use on black and white e-Ink displays..

I do not own a Tophat version, though I have had it demonstrated to me by someone who uses it and likes it. It did seem to improve on the XCSoar base.

Since the Lite version of iGlide does not support routes, it is impossible to compare task creation and editing in it to SYM or XCSoar. What iGlide needs to do is publish a full Pro version, enabled in demo mode only, for free. Then it could be compared to the others by anyone without risk.

Currently (for me) I rank them in usability:

iGlide
XCSoar
SYM
Winpilot iOS (crashes too often to use)

Ranked in value, its hard to overcome the fact that XCSoar is free:

XCSoar
iGlide
SYM

But the software is such a minuscule cost in soaring - compared to the rest of it - that I discount that. I spend more on oxygen each soaring season than iGlide cost.