Old December 14th 04, 07:47 AM
Dave S

houstondan wrote:

the c-152 seems like a pretty sensible way to get into my first
airplane. the way i see the g.a. business overall, especially with the
feds helping so many people decide that commercial flight just ain't
worth the trouble, a good condition c-152 should at least hold it's
value (adjusted for engine-time) and may actually appreciate in the
future. there's parts & mechanics everywhere you land . i'm just
getting started thinking about buying so my mind isn't anywhere near
made up but that's what seems to be the best idea at the moment.

i'm certainly open for suggestions. probably months away but certainly
not a year.

dan

My suggestion is get your ticket in the flight school's aircraft, then
buy something that will suit your mission. From a payload, speed and
range standpoint, unless you are into sightseeing alone or with a small
friend.. the aircraft (150/152) comes up short in my book.

Granted.. its a fine plane. I learned in one. I still rent and fly one
on occasion (airwork, short hop, etc).. but when I want to travel,
things like a Grumman, a 172, a 177, a Mooney or a Cherokee spring to
mind. And thats the impression I am getting from you, with your
reference to commercial flight - you intend to travel.

Granted this is just my opinion. I'm not even an owner. At the moment I
am involved with building a velocity (experimental Canard), but before,
when I was looking for my own aircraft, I was tending towards 4 seats,
retractable gear and up to 200 hp... Figure our what you want to do with
aircraft ownership, then get something that will fill that need best
(but within your means).

Dave