Old February 25th 08, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.ultralight,rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

Default What sort of UL/LSA do I want?

"Michael" wrote in message
I have finally reached the point where I can reasonably acquire a
purely-for-fun, low-and-slow kind of flying machine. It's not going
to be my only one - I own a Twin Comanche that I use for travel. Thus
I don't care how slow it is - I'm never going very far in it. I would
like it to be two seats, to be something that can comfortably operate
from a 1000 ft grass strip, and something with a relatively narrow
wingspan or folding wings or some such - it will live in a pole barn,
and the doors are not wide enough to accomodate anything more than
about 18 ft. Also I have no intention of buying new or building -
this must be something that I can acquire for under $20K in good
flying condition and with plenty of life left in it (not a project).
Also no certified aircraft of any sort need apply - homebuilt or e-LSA
only. It also can't be something that requires a crew of any sort -
it needs to be something I can easily pull out and launch myself. No
balloons, no gliders. Also nothing foot launched - it's not so much
the foot launching but the foot landing I can't take.

Now, having said that - I'm otherwise flexible. Powered parachute?
Trike? Three axis? Gyroplane? Any of the above would work for me.
Anyone have any suggestions?

Michael

IIRC, The earliest Tailwinds had folding wings, and the Nesmith Cougar
(which was essentially a rip-off of the Tailwind) may have retained the
feature. There are a few other folding wing designs around, but I know even
less about most of them; and the folding wing versions of the Glastar are
*way* out of your stated price range.

Peter