Old December 31st 10, 08:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bildan

Default poor lateral control on a slow tow?

On Dec 31, 1:06*pm, Todd wrote:
I too agree with the real or perceived tow handling characteristics.

Looking at things *from and aerodynamics standpoint (and I am about as
far from and aerodynamicist as you can get) it should seem that part
of the empirical data would suggest an experiment where you fly a
glider equipped with and Angel of Attack meter at your typical tow
speeds and record the AoA at various speeds. *Then fly that glider on
tow at those same speeds and record the results.

Done that - and as nearly as I can see, there's no difference in AoA.

I've flown some pretty heavy high performance gliders behind some
pretty bad tow pilots - one of them stalled the tug with me on tow.
If I'm careful not to over-control the ailerons, there's no problem at
all.

Heavily ballasted gliders respond sluggishly in roll just due to the
extra roll inertia. A pilot trying to hold a precise position behind
a tug needs and expects crisp aileron response. When he doesn't get
it, he increases the amount and frequency of aileron with a
corresponding increase in adverse yaw. If he's less than equally
crisp with rudder to oppose the adverse yaw, it gets wobbly.