Old April 9th 21, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default new SSA web site

A small number of people put a lot of effort into the soaring community to benefit all of us. Sure John has some good points, but the site looks much better and will only get a bit better as the rough edges are worked out.
I would like to thank all who worked on this site and suggest that there are a number of new "volunteers" whom have posted their ideas, criticism and outright damnation. Please contact the SSA office with your donation of time or money to bring the site up to your particular needs. Ask yourself "what would Tom Brady do?", complain or act?

On Wednesday, April 7, 2021 at 7:04:54 AM UTC-7, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
I received the new web site announcement email from the SSA on April 1 saying that in the next 24 hours I would get a link to reset my password. It is now April 7 and nothing thus far (yep, I checked spam). Reading above it seems others have received the link. Am I the only one left in the cold? Out of curiosity I clicked on the Login button (upper right) and all I see is the "Not a member, want to join?" message.

- Yes, the rollout should have been done in the fall, not in the spring, so as not to impact the heart of the soaring season.
- Yes, the first "public" incarnation should have been via an alternate URL.
- Yes, the denizens of RAS should have collectively been asked to test and make comments.
- Yes, the password should not need to be 12 digits long. This is not a bank or the NSA. It's ok to require a special character, upper case, number, etc.
- Yes, impacting low speed access users is bad. Every event I have been to has low speed internet.
- Yes, needing two logins is strange. Must be a two phased rollout.
- Yes, captcha is an annoyance. Hopefully, a cookie is set to remember that I am one of the good guys.
- Yes, not being able to click "Remember me" at login is bad.

My $0.02.

- John (OHM)