Old July 26th 03, 09:02 AM
Marty Ross

Wow, what a mincing (slicing/dicing) of words this post has triggered!

I appreciate all of your attempts to second (and even third) guess what was
the original intend of my post in order to help!

Indeed, it was my understanding that I could not log PIC time for IMC I had
flown (yes - albeit as "sole manipulator") while with my instrument
instructor. This is because on my last few flights he corrected his entry
in my logbook, reducing the PIC time by exactly the amount he wrote in the
"Actual" column. When I asked him about this, I believe he said something
like: "since you're not currently rated to act as PIC in actual IFR
conditions, you can't log it as PIC time [even though you're sole
manipulator of the controls]" (content in brackets my interpretation of his
meaning).

I understood this situation to be similar to the situation another person
asked recently on a related forum: "can a student pilot that flies with me
[a PPL] log time?", and the consensus here was: "no, he can't because he's
not yet rated to fly [in the current situation; namely, with a passenger,
even though he was sole manipulator]". Using that logic, it seemed to make
sense to me.

However, as someone pointed out, my post really was more about correcting
logbook errors. The fact that I may not have the error I think I have was
secondary. And, about that, I think I will insert a "adjustment" line into
my logbook that corrects for any errors I may find (no one seemed to think
that was a "bad" idea). I don't like the idea of using white-out and
recalculating page balances, it seems too messy and could introduce new
errors that would be even harder to correct later.

Regards,

-- Marty

"Marty Ross" wrote in message
t...
I recently realized that I should not have included any "actual" (IMC)

time
recorded in my logbook as PIC time while I was an instrument student.

Any suggestions for correcting this error? Rather than making messy
corrections and recalculating page totals, how about adding a "corrective"
(new) entry?

More generally, are there any accepted conventions for retroactively
correcting logbook errors?