Old May 6th 06, 06:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default IFR use of handheld GPS

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"Sam Spade" wrote in message

What did I say that is not correct, and inconsistent with 7110.65 4-1-1?

"The 'rule' is that direct routes initiated by ATC are limited to the
service volume of VOR (or rarely, NDBs) and the controller can assure that
MIAs will not be violated."

What in the following 7110.65 instruction is inconsistant with what I
stated?

4-1-1. ALTITUDE AND DISTANCE LIMITATIONS
When specifying a route other than an established airway or route, do
not exceed the limitations in the table on any portion of the route
which lies within controlled airspace. (For altitude and distance
limitations, see TBL 4-1-1, TBL 4-1-2, TBL 4-1-3, and TBL 4-1-4.) (For
correct application of altitude and distance limitations see FIG 4-1-1
and FIG 4-1-2.)

TBL 4-1-1 - VOR/VORTAC/TACAN NAVAIDs
Normal Usable Altitudes and Radius Distances
Class Altitude Distance (miles)
T 12,000 and below 25
L Below 18,000 40
H Below 14,500 40