Old June 23rd 11, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Alpha Propellerhead

Default Electriflying

On Jun 22, 1:08*pm, wrote:

So is that 90 minutes plus the FAA mandated reserve time or 90 minutes
minus the the FAA mandated reserve time?

How long to recharge for the next student?

Not sure, yet, but I'm sure the Wright Flyer wasn't an ideal trainer
either. My issue is with the Lithium Polymer batteries. When those
things burn--a bad charger will blow them up--they go incendiary like
fireworks. Some airplane builders around here say the next generation
is under development, but a lot more stable. That means batteries will
continue to become lighter and more stable, at the very least.

They're not going to replace the old Cessna 152 as a primary trainer
at flight schools anytime soon, but if I could buy a 152 with an
electric power plant for my own uses, I'd much rather fly that than
paying $6/gallon @ 5 gallons per hour just for the fuel.

Also, Diamond will be flying a hybrid at the Paris Airshow this year.