Old July 19th 11, 08:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Stock

Default MSL vs. AGL (Again)

N11rdbird wrote:
The MSL/AGL issue has come before the Caesar Creek Soaring Club Board
once again. Not only has the Club been thrown into turmoil again, this
time it has specifically affected our instructors and how to most
effectively teach our students. I am curious if there are other Clubs
or organizations that teach using AGL.
Rolf Hegele
Member of the Board

I was taught that it is up to the. pilot in command. When flying around
the local airport, agl zero is fine. when flying cross country, MSL zero
is standard practice but not necessarily reliable since you do not know
where you will be landing.