Old July 20th 11, 03:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

Default MSL vs. AGL (Again)

On Jul 20, 3:21*am, Chip Bearden wrote:
After I made the switch to MSL/QNH, for a while copied a technique I'd
read about some pilots using at the Worlds: i.e., I set my altimeter
on zero on the grid and wrote down the pressure setting, then
immediately set it back to field elevation. On final glide, I would
reset the altimeter to the zero pressure setting (AGL/QFE) again so I
could monitor altitude above the finish line.

I've only done a couple of comps, and in a low performance glider
(PW5) but something I thought obvious, and found useful, was to
annotate the task sheet before launch with the MSL height needed at
the last few turnpoints for a final glide at McCready 0, 2, or 4. And
maybe also at a few landmarks along the way. I also wrote down the
distance to run from each turnpoint.

There was one day that absolutely died, but I managed to get one final
slow scratching climb and then final glide at M=0 (with a 500 ft
safety height) from 3 turnpoints out. Which, to be fair, was only
about 50 km.