Old February 1st 17, 02:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND

Default Thoughts on panel upgrade?

On Wednesday, February 1, 2017 at 12:28:54 AM UTC-5, Paul wrote:
On Tuesday, January 31, 2017 at 9:42:03 AM UTC-6, OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
All of the information above, centered on which instruments to get, is great. A couple of points about the behind the scenes part of your panel. Before doing any work you should make a schematic of what goes to where, both electrically and airlines. This may be tedious but will be important during the rebuild. Seriously consider rewiring everything behind the panel. I imagine it is a hodge-podge of wires from years to additions and subtractions. Scary? Maybe but rewiring, and making a schematic, pays dividends when you are getting everything working and later mods. Guess what I am doing this winter on my "new" ship? See http://aviation.derosaweb.net/presentations for some helpful hints. Best of luck. - John

Thank you for the link, John, it's very timely. I removed my panel yesterday, sanded and primed it today; tomorrow I'll finish paint and reinstall it. The wiring isn't too bad (not like the "rats nest" in your photo), but there are a few things I'm tending to, and I'll be doing it with a bit more of an appreciation for best-practices, thanks to your presentation.

mix up some resin with flock and plug those speaker holes + other unneccessary ones. then re-prime and paint. you'll be glad you did. definitely use a label maker for a clean appearance if you're going through all the trouble already.

Finally, send us a link to a pic when you're done. i'd love to see the transformation.