Old September 21st 04, 03:42 AM
Peter

TD wrote:

"Peter" wrote in message

Many devices designed to operate on a pair of AA cells can also use the
RCR-3V Li+ cells (depending on the shape of the battery compartment).

A few manufacturers are shown he
http://www.thomas-distributing.com/rcr-v3-index.htm

Thanks, but I was really hoping for some rechargeable AA Lithium batteries
to plug into my the battery compartment of my handheld GPS. My experience
with disposable AA Li batteries is that they last a heck of alot longer than
2300 mAH NiMH AA`s. So I was hoping for something in this generic form.
The key of course, is the compartment size issue.

The problem is that the rechargeable Li ion chemistry results in a
battery voltage of over 3V/cell and would probably damage your GPS
receiver if you were to put two of those in instead of regular AAs, so
AFAIK they aren't made in AA size. The RCR-3V cells get around that
problem by making a single cell in a shape that approximates a pair of
AA cells side-by-side and with a voltage of just over 3V which is also
appropriate for two series AAs. They fit in the battery compartment of
my GPS which was made for AA cells and may work in yours as well.

The single-use AA lithiums are a different chemistry of Lithium Iron
Disulfide with a voltage of about 1.6. Based on their specs they should
last at least 50% longer than good NiMHs in a GPS receiver.