Old January 23rd 10, 05:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

Default Club Financial Package

On 1/21/2010 7:59 PM, Mitch Deutsch wrote:
MGSA (Mid-Georgia Soaring Association) has been using QuickBooks
continuously since 1992. We also used it last year at the 2009 15 Meter
Nationals. That made my life easy with a full contest.

It is quite robust and serves all our accounting needs. The reporting
abilities are quite flexible and allows me to drill down as deeply as
needed.

The only shortfall is its inability to track ship time, that is done
separately in Excel. Maybe there is a way to use QuickBooks, I haven't found
it yet.

Mitch Deutsch
MGSA Treasurer

wrote in message
The Caesar Creek Soaring Club (CCSC) is using an old FoxPro database
that has been functionaing as our financial package tracking
membership, flights, shares, billings and expenses. As the computers
keep evolving, the software does not and it is getting increasingly
difficult to update our systems and keep the software running. I am
interested in what software other clubs are using and what they have
found as limitations of their use. Anyone who has recommendations is
encouraged to respond to this group or directly to president(del)
@soarccsc.com. Delete the (del).
Thanks
Rolf Hegele
President CCSC

Quickbooks is an outstanding general purpose accounting package used by
90% of the small businesses in the USA.

A typical club needs to track 3 items: Dues, aircraft usage, and tows.

In Quickbooks, each member would be set up as a customer. You can then
set up saved invoice transactions for each member for dues. You can
specify the schedule and automatically generate these invoices.

For billing aircraft usage and tows, you can take your daily log sheet
and create an invoice for each member showing the tow charge and glider
rental for each flight as a separate line item. You can set up a
separate dept for each aircraft, so that the price per minute or hour
can be different and total usage can be tracked separately for each
aircraft.

One big plus that Quickbooks has is that invoices and statements can be
automatically e-mailed to customers. If you want to spend the money,
the "customer" can electronically pay his monthly statement.

Finally, if none of this works, you have the option to create your own
software for tracking aircraft utilization. Quickbooks has a complete
set of APIs so you can transfer this data into Quickbooks and use
Quickbooks for billing, AR, and financial reporting.

Mike Schumann

--
Mike Schumann