Old January 29th 18, 08:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Hard Deck

This thread got started by a pilot dying and we talking about how to prevent it.

While I like rules (by nature) and have no problem with a hard deck that ends your day. I do think most rules add to safe behavior, such as minimum finish height. i.e. There is no doubt pilots will finish at the height you set more or less (even if it's the ground).

I do not think the dangerous behavior comes from the desire for points - it is almost always a pilot miscalculation of lift, good landing and forgetting their own rules (as in my case).

I also am not so sure experience and currency are such significant factors in significant crashes - I have only been Soaring about a decade and the pilots I have heard about were all pretty experienced and some CFIG's. I bet the experience level of most pilots who had significant crashes is pretty high.

As noted the deck below your hard deck is so variable. What is better to be at 300' ft over a enormous plowed field or be at 800 ft trying to get your glass ship into a 500 ft. what looks like a field.

While the Hard Deck would not affect me at all (All the suggested hard decks are way below my personal deck - and I bet the Soaring Safety Foundation would not endorse it ) - I am not sure it really solves the issue. It is one of those problem where we already have the solution in our rules and how we are taught to fly. It is a execution issue, not a rule issue.

Anyone with a Bronze badge knows the rules for any XC Soaring flight. Everyone who has a CFIG sign their BFR, has been taught the rules for safe flying.

How do you get a pilot who is hyper competitive to not loose his grasp on reality/safety - I am not so sure you can make a new rule for that. I have heard this comment "you men sit in Safety meeting before a contest day and then turn into kids once you get inside your glider" - I think she may be right and that's something we need to fight the urge.

I will happily follow what ever rule the RC makes and continue to fly contests - if I keep my head on straight and my eyes outside the cockpit, it is reasonably safe.

WH