Old November 11th 08, 03:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Terry

Default DIY Garmin GPS Internal Battery Replacement

Thought I'd post this for those who own the older Garmin 296's,396's etc
and have been having trouble with the units taking a long time to aquire
satellites, clock displays wrong time and date on boot up. Mine was
taking 30 minutes or so after a couple weeks being turned off. Trouble
is the "internal battery". Figure on start up the gps uses the wrong
date and time to locate the satellites. Now it boots in 15 seconds after
internal battery replacement that cost me about $5.00 bucks and 30
minutes labor. Garmin says it can be done at a cost of $250.00 if you
send the unit in but do it yourself.

I thought I'd pass this on to my fellow pilots......if your interested
here's the link..

http://home.newwavecomm.net/bobbyhes...nalbattery.htm

http://www.gpsinformation.org/forum/...pic.php?t=4701

Terry N6401F