Old December 31st 18, 11:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim White[_3_]

Default New GOES 17 Satellite

At 20:19 30 December 2018, Duster wrote:
For those that use NASA/NOAA satellite imagery, there's a new one ready

=
launch in early 2019. Similar to GOES 16 last year, GOES 17 should

provide
=
an improvement in products including high spatial and temporal resolution
(=
1min; sub 1km?). The testing phase is nearly complete; for early access:
ht=
tps://www.goes-r.gov/multimedia/dataAndImageryImagesGoes-17.html Note,
howe=
ver, that the after-launch service of GOES 16, the resolution was a bit
dow=
ngraded and might be the case here. Maybe our Dr. Wx can weigh in?

Related: Anyone know how to upload semi real-time imagery where cell
servic=
e is not available? Garmin offers some Sirius XM receivers, but not sure
if=
one can get high-res GOES with it.

[Unrelated FYI: A few months ago GlobalStar finally came out with the new
"=
SPOT X" sat messenger. Early reviews can be found on youtube. Debate on
whi=
ch satellite constellation is better in servicing Garmin InReach v
Globalst=
ar Spot]

Very interesting. Can anyone explain the significance of the Magnesium II
Index? I note it has cycle of roughly 10 years and has trended down over
the last 40 years.
Jim