Old October 1st 19, 02:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

Default Open Cirrus for sale

DRAG CHUTE: If still installed, contact me for my suggestions on how to pack it and use it.

I began flying an Open Cirrus in 1968 and practiced packing and using the drag chute for the inevitable cross-country off-airport landings to come.

Many first generation (Open Cirrus, Libelle 301, etc.) composite sailplanes were heavier compared to the last of the wooden ships (Ka-6, SHK.) Heavier means more energy (velocity) on the approach and a longer landing rollout. So pilots approached the relatively small fields in Europe using a drag chute.

Many sailplanes were damaged because unlike the airbrakes, a drag chute cannot be modulated.

All drag or none, IF it deploys.

Before the chute fully deploys (3 seconds), close and lock the airbrakes and get ready to find the jettison knob if coming up short of the landing area or unseen power lines. You do NOT want both the drag chute and airbrakes deployed as your sailplane will "drop in" hard.

Deploying the chute too early resulted in some landing short incidents while the pilot fumbled for the chute jettison knob. Manufacturers eliminated the drag chute from most subsequent designs except the ASW-12 which had no airbrakes for glide path control. The only modern sailplane that I know of with a drag chute is Dick Butler's big beautiful Concordia. Mr. Butler added the drag chute after his early flights in it.

If you want my complete file with SUGGESTIONS on using a drag chute, contact me.
Only my suggestions. Your sailplane Flight Manual is the final word.