Old November 3rd 05, 10:32 PM

Default Wing stress program

Thanks tremendously

Neal ( the other one )

wrote:
Thanks for the info. Your spreadsheet led me to another EAA one (
Metal Design ). On that spreadsheet, under the " Strut Braced Shear &
Moment" tab, Rows 10 and 13 have figures in them with an explanation on
Row 8 of where those figures came from ( I think ). I went to the
Airloads spreadsheet as directed and still couldn't find where those
figures came from. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Neal,

The figures for Row 10 & 13 are read (manually) from the graphs on tabs
"Normal Shear Plot" & "Normal Moment Plot" of the Airloads spreadsheet.
Those graphs are generated from the computations on the "Cond __" tabs
of the Airloads ss, and _those_ computations are the result of the
inputs on the "V-N speeds" tab of the same ss.

Williford's spreadsheets are quite good. The only error I've ever
found was quickly corrected. The kicker is that they are an
inter-related series. For the most part, one must begin with an
earlier sheet, work through it, then use the results for input in later
sheets & so forth. Kinda like design work I guess!

The articles written to go with them are musts for those of us who
don't have an engineering degree on the wall. I just this morning put
together a list of those articles and their subjects. I need to go
back to the library with a fist of dimes however.

Here's my list of Williford's "Sport Aviation" articles to date and
their subject matter (corrections welcome):

mm/yy pg Subject
02/02 60 Design 101 Part I: Six Steps ***
03/02 44 Design 101 Part II: Layout & Gear ***
04/02 56 Design 101 Part III: Balancing ***
12/02 36 Performance ***
06/03 52 Air Loads *** *** (2)
08/03 50 Cooling ***
11/03 66 Tails ***
12/03 58 Flutter ***
01/04 ?? Liquid Cooling ***
03/04 64 High Lift Devices
05/04 42 Wings ***
07/04 56 Props ***
09/04 34 Landing Gear ***
11/04 ?? Tandem Wings ***
01/05 47 Structures I ***
03/05 32 Structures II ***
05/05 50 Wood I
06/05 46 Wood II ***
07/05 34 Metal ***
11/05 50 Composites

*** signifies that a spreadsheet is available to assist with number
crunching. Not all of the above have spreadsheets and there are two
for June 2003. The spreadsheets (as you discovered) can be found he

http://www.eaa.org/benefits/sportaviation/

P.S. I tried to contact you offline but was unsuccessful.

Sorry about that. The email address that gets posted here is fake
spambot fodder. You can contact me directly at "danielbk atsign yahoo
dot com".

Daniel