Old January 24th 08, 01:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
John[_14_]

Default Obstacle avoidance between take-off and airway

Sam Spade wrote:
Mxsmanic wrote:

J.Kahn writes:

If no instrument departure gradients are published in a departure
procedure, then the default gradient requirement applies, which is
200 ft/NM.

OK, thanks.

It looks like IFR departures from runway 26 in L35 aren't allowed at
all, so I
suppose I'll have to depart from runway 8 in the future if I really
want to
depart IFR. Odd that there's nothing for runway 26 since it leads
right over
the lake.

Gosh, I wish you would submit your resume to the FAA. Then, you could
be the boss of TERPS and get these credits for little narrow lakes
applied and forget the big friggen mountains a bit further out, you
numbskull.

At Canadian airports in the mountains where the required gradient is too
much they have a cat called "Spec Vis" which may involve a vfr initial
climb over the airport, then to a fix, then a shuttle climb to mea. See
the dep procedure for Prince George BC below. Do any US airports in the
hills do that?

DEPARTURE PROCEDURE
Rwy 09 - SPEC VIS - CLB visual over APRT
to 1200. Continue CLB on TRK 271 from
"YPW" NDB to 2400. Left turn direct
"YPW" NDB to cross at 3900. Shuttle
(max 200 kt) to MEA BPOC.