Old January 25th 08, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Default Obstacle avoidance between take-off and airway

Stan Prevost wrote:
"Sam Spade" wrote in message

ODPs came very close to becoming mandatory for Part 91 in the last
amendment to 91.175 issued last year.

That would require ATC to learn to issue clearances that are consistent with
the ODPs.

Often one will get a clearance that includes something like "...enter
controlled airspace on heading 270..." when the ODP calls for climbing above
the floor of controlled airspace on a very different heading. Recently I
responded by saying that I would turn to 270 upon completion of the Obstacle
Departure Procedure. The controller said "What's that?".

All the back and forth involved in trying to get a clearance that is
consistent with pilot intent is difficult if one has to go through AFSS
Clearance Delivery.

Well, ODPs have been mandatory for Part 121 and 135 since last June and
ATC still doesn't have a clue at many locations. But, at some mountain
airports with a tower (EGE comes to mind) ATC is very aware of the
procedures.

If the controller says "huh?" then the pilot needs to say "I will by
flying the FAA obstacle departure procedure" or words to that effect.
That has, alas, always been the case.