Old February 3rd 08, 04:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Les Izmore

Default Obstacle avoidance between take-off and airway

On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 08:53:25 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Jan 13, 6:09*am, wrote:
On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 22:13:08 +0100, Mxsmanic
wrote:
[...]Personally I don't know of
anyone who has used a vfr sectional in ifr conditions, and I don't
think I ever would.

I use sectionals all the time in IFR flight, especially when planning
departures from mountainous airports. I used to fly a King Air (part
135), and carried WAC charts so I would know where the low
terrain was.

Looking at the sectional, a runway 26 departure from Big Bear seems
pretty hairy in a Bonanza.

Indeed.

I wonder how would anyone plan an IFR departure from an airport with
no approach plate WITHOUT a VFR chart?