Old September 2nd 08, 11:09 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
The Raven[_2_]

Default Yenc decoder was "Ren Yenc"

"Auld Phart" wrote in message
On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 08:23:07 +1000, "The Raven"
wrote:

"Clive" wrote in message
Best bet is to use a dedicated newsreader, I use Xnews, it's free!
xnews.newsguy.com

So is OE and it's supplied with the majority of computers.

Dedicated newsreader - definitely NOT!

So we're going to argue what constitues a 'dedicated newsreader' now....
sigh It was and is a newsreader.

Free - questionable - supplied at no extra cost whether you want it or not
when
you pay lots of money to M$.

Free, as in you could (for many years) download it free of charge. Heck, you
could even get the browser for free.

About the one piece of pricing M$ got right - OE is priced at its real
value.

I've never used OE for newsgroups, but this little prog is supposed to
make
it Y-happy.

OE is designed for newsgroups,

WRONG

It is or else it wouldn't have been used for such for the last decade.

it comes free with the computer,

WRONG - where exactly can I get OE for free ?

Try downloading Internet Explorer, it's part of the install.

http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/mcrsswxp...mrt/direct/01/

it's the defacto standard,

WRONG

Approx 60 million users think otherwise.

it's been in use for over a decade,

POSSIBLY - can't be bothered to check

Very close to a decade if not longer.

very few 'new' newsreaders offer significant improvement,

WRONG

Significant improvement can only be measured by the installed user base (as
in actual users not just installation).

We could probably gather stats via Google on the number of unique posters
and their newsreader preferences. I'd be very confident OE would have a
market share exceeding that of default Yenc enabled newsreaders.

Yenc has been around for years but the adoption rate is very low.

VERY WRONG

Do some research to prove that. The majority of newgroups I've seen either
have a small number of Yenc posters or recommend it not be used.

Five (possibly six) wrong out of six.

You're definitely wrong on one (evidence provided) and somewhat biased on
the others.

Next!

You won't provide any evidence.

For the sake of this newsgroup, Yenc is not preferred. This is particularly
the case when the majority of Yenc posts are floods.