Old January 2nd 13, 03:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn

Default Homebuilt Question

In article
,
Mark IV wrote:

On Jan 1, 5:20*pm, Ron Wanttaja wrote:
The answer is simple: *It is an Experimental Amateur-Built aircraft. *It
does not have to meet any certification standards. *It only has to have
the required markings and the record-keeping to show that it was built
for "education or recreation". *The unusual control system is moot, as
is the fact that it takes special training to learn to fly it. *The FAA
doesn't care, for an Experimental Amateur-Built aircraft.

What MIGHT happen, though, is the FAA might assign a more-limited test
area, and require longer than the traditional 40 hour test period before
the plane can be flown outside the area.

Ron Wanttaja

On 1/1/2013 6:49 AM, wrote:

I'm wonder how this would play
out:

a. Person designs a unique plane,
* * one of a kind, no other ones to
* * compare it to.

b. It is a single-seater.

c. It has unique control surfaces,
* * and only someone "trained" can
* * fly it.

d. Gear is retractable.

e. Propulsion is "rather mysterious".

Now, how would this plane be certified?
No one else can fly it. *Much of the
technology is sealed beneath carbon
fiber. *No one knows how fast it goes.
It is homebuilt. *Builder is willing to
concede that it isn't lightsport.

Thank you all for your input, as amateur-built
is new to me. Interesting note: Shortly after
posting my question I ran into a very nice fellow
(Joe) who was wearing a "Reno Air Races" ball
cap and we struck up a conversation. It wasn't
long before he was pulling photos out of his
wallet of the planes he built over the years, including
entries for Reno. His specialty now is Zenair STOL's.

Anyway, Joe's dad (who is in his 90's) has
served in some capacity with Flight Certification
over the years and much information was shared
with me. Seems the main thing is, they will need
entry ports of observation to check for safety wires,
and other such basic requirements. The time will
have to be flown off the plane, and technically,
being experimental, it isn't supposed to be flown
over population centers.

So... you all are right.

Thanks.

---
Mark

My question:

Why does it have to have a unique, nonstandard control system that
nobody else can fly without special training?

It seem to me that it violates a very important principle that has cost
dearly -- namely the KISS Principle, or: Keep It Simple, Stupid!