Old August 5th 15, 03:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

Default FLARM in Stealth Mode at US 15M/Standard Nationals - Loved It!

The US 15M/Standard Class Nationals required FLARM to be in stealth mode for the duration of the contest. I have to say, I absolutely enjoyed the experience. FLARM became what it was always supposed to be - a collision avoidance tool - rather than a tactical leaching tool. I found that I would get alerts for gliders in the same thermal or approaching/exiting the thermal up to about 1 mile away, but no more. Not a single surprise conflict from a FLARM-equipped glider.

I wonder if others had the same positive experience. I would hope other contests would consider requiring Stealth Mode.

Erik Mann (P3)